Thursday, November 3, 2016

catching up and keeping promises.

I quit writing awhile back. I promised myself that I would not quit writing and that I would keep people up to date about my life, my struggles, and my different seasons. And here I am telling you the readers that I stopped writing. I stopped journaling, I stopped thinking like a writer and those were my favorite things.

I am not going to blame anyone in this situation besides myself. Its not fair. But, I need to be honest  -  being honest is not easy. It never is.
_________________________

Word on the street is that I am known as a flight risk. I get it, what you see on social media only shows the good side of my life, it only shows the good pictures, the funny statuses - I'd like to think they are pretty funny, but then again I laugh at my own jokes more times than not. So, as many of you have seen my travels and my job opportunities, you automatically assume that I am flighty. However, there is so much more behind the posed social media post.

I guess this is where I tell you a little about it -

I ran from Uganda. It got hard and I moved home. Why? Because I let the enemy completely steal every single bit of joy that I had in my being. I cried myself to sleep every single night because I was scared that someone was going to get me. I thought that life outside of people giving death stares or people stealing phones would be nicer. I was scared every single second of every single day. So I moved home, I moved home because my thoughts left me. I was no longer in control of my thoughts. I could not stop them.  I would wake up, get dressed, get in the car to head to the office and within the first 5 minutes of the car ride - my brain made me think that an earthquake would happen and I would be separated from everyone that I knew, my phone would go missing and I would be lost - forever. You see, I could not stop those scenarios.

I did what I thought was best, I moved back to Dothan, thinking that things would get better that the fear would vanish. I laugh now because its been months and  it didn't just vanish. I moved back into my parents house and I would not let my best friend leave my side. On my birthday I finally decided to leave my house, I'd been home for 10 days. I left my house to go do other things for people and get my mind off the terrible, terrible scenarios that left me stuck in bed - but no matter how many smiles I got, or phone calls, or texts I still only imagined myself crawling back into bed. Thats just what I did, on my 24th birthday I crawled into bed at 3pm and stayed there all night. My mom came into check on me and I told her that I wanted to go home, I was home - but I meant home, like heaven - home. I told her that I was too scared to try and live life anymore and that I needed to be with Jesus.
I haven't written this out because I haven't known how. I can only imagine how my mother felt the day I told her I didn't want to live on earth anymore. I told her I wanted to throw all away because of my fear.

I didn't. Instead I saw a counselor.

And she told me that I had PTSD, that I never let myself understand that I lived in Uganda, so when I jokingly told myself, "this is not my life," my brain actually started believing that this was not my life. And that is when the fear creeped in. I told her about how I went to Italy with my family and how I wanted so badly to relive that trip because I was not there, I was in my head. I do not remember that trip, I only remember pieces. I remember being sick the entire time because I wasn't sure how to process my fear. She told me that day that she was not worried about me. She said, she could tell by how I was answering my own questions that I would be okay. I did not really believe her because I knew my thoughts when I was alone and I knew that I had felt with this for quite sometime. I went home, knowing that maybe I would be okay someday, but just not sure when - I figured that this would be something I would carry for the next 5 years and then get over it, eventually. I was okay with it being the new me. I had to come to grips with it.

Here we are -5 months later and I can honestly tell you that I cannot go into that back bedroom at my parents house without crying, because of how dark I was then. Do you know when something happens and you remember it? You remember your first break up or a phone call you never want - you remember exactly where you were and you avoid that spot at all cost. That is how I am with that back bedroom. Of course I go in there to put towels up or open the blinds (I sound like Amelia Bedelia) and now I thank Jesus every time because I know that HE is the only reason I was pulled out of the pit.

This past year has been a wild one, I moved to Uganda. I moved home due to depression, I overcame depression, I became a college student again, I got multiple part time jobs and then I went to Uganda for a short visit, I have a boyfriend (thats a new thing, for another blog), I got use to meeting strangers, I adopted a child in my heart, and I walked through the darkest season, yet.

I am not going to pretend to have it all together, I never do.
I am a flight risk, sure. We can say that.
I do not know what my life will look like next year - but who does?

But I know that I faced fears when I went back to Uganda this past month. I know that I literally FOUGHT the enemy to get back there. I went with two incredible friends and I was greeted at the airport by someone special, whom I surprised, might I add. I went in the slum and taught girls about being girls, I watched my two best friends host medical clinics, I loved on my little boy and I ate too much ice cream with my guy. I laughed a lot, I cried some too. I spent time with my roommate, I ate dinner with a big family, I rode in the car with the windows down, I laughed more, I sang terribly, I saw wild animals on a safari and I went to Gulu (blog coming) -



3 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for you to have went through such pain and fear. The Lord has been with you and will continue to see you through this time in your life and bless you. Love Always your cousin Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a brave person. Thanks so much for sharing..

      Delete
    2. Such a brave person. Thanks so much for sharing..

      Delete