Thursday, July 3, 2014

a simple sentence

I'm still processing, still learning to walk in the things that I was taught, still trying to discipline myself. 

It seems that over in Uganda, for me at least, that at any given point in the day I can reach out and touch Jesus' face. But I feel like here I am having to jump through hoops to feel him. Why is that? 

Because of me. He is the same Jesus here as he is there. He is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday. He doesn't change-- I change. 

For two weeks of the year I live among people who have no worldly possessions. 
They live in clay huts
They sleep on floors
They don't wear shoes
They don't have more than one outfit usually
They eat what they find and that usually consist of jackfruit or chapati
The 12 year old girls are usually the main caretaker for their siblings
The young boys become 'men' at 10 years of age because their fathers leave
They don't all have education
They walk miles for water that's not even clean
They have rats chew on their feet while they sleep
They get & try to fight malaria, not knowing what it is
Their toys are soccer balls made of corn husk and grass or a tire with a stick to keep it rolling

Yet, they teach me so much.

They teach me to smile even if tomorrow doesn't look much better than today.
They teach me to give
They teach me to laugh
They teach me not fear
They teach me to be strong
They teach me to love
They teach me to dance
They teach me that family, no matter what size, is the most important gift we have here
They teach me faith
They teach me about Jesus
They teach me not to stress
They teach me to give Him everything
They teach me that worship is the most beautiful thing we can do on this earth
They teach me the true meaning of brother & sister
They teach me that things aren't important
They teach me to live each day to its best potential
They teach me that "In the future I look better than how I look right now"
They teach me "God is good and that's His nature, wow"
They teach me patience 
My favorite things they teach me is what life is all about && that's simply 

"If I don't see you again on this Earth, I will see you in Heaven."

There is such power in those simple words. They say it with such truth and faith in knowing that Heaven is in their future. It doesn't matter to them what they have on this Earth because they have their Father waiting for them in a Heaven. 

I think the world would change if we all lived with this mindset. If we challenged one another, prayed for one another and lifted one another up things would happen. 

I feel like when I go they give me more than I could ever give them. I dream of the day that I will see all of them in Heaven. I may not see their dirty brown faces and tattered clothes but I will see their pure, rich, life giving spirits and like a child, I imagine the hugs that we will share will last forever or at least until someone brings out the soccer ball. 

My heart is so thankful for so many things, but in this moment it's for the Ugandans who have taught me so much.











No comments:

Post a Comment