Monday, May 23, 2016

having an extrovert as a best friend changes you

I just finished watching How to Be Single.
Before I go into this post - I need you to know that this movie was not the cleanest, nor was it morally correct. It was about being single and how to survive being single in the city. 

I started it thinking that it would be just another rom-com and I would get a good laugh and then turn it off and go to sleep, nope. I am awake, I have watched the ending 3 times and I have laughed until I cried once again - thank you Amy Poehler for reminding us how important that actually is- Most of you know my best friend Jordan, if you do not know her you have at least heard about her in these blogs, she is golden. She literally can make anyone laugh at anytime, she can bring joy into any room and she says whatever is on her mind and then pauses afterwards to say, “welp, shouldn’t have said that one.” She makes me funnier and accepts my attempts at jokes and then we laugh so hard that we cannot breathe - it turns into wheezing and we know that we have to leave each other for a few minutes or we will run out of oxygen. I am telling you - funny. 

At the beginning of  this movie, you meet Alice, a girl who is trying to figure out who she is, only finding herself in men. Then you watch her meet her best friend who was the complete opposite - funny, single, proud to be single and completely herself. It got my heart right at the beginning because Alice, the relationship girl, is an introvert and Robin, the single one, is an extrovert. They worked perfectly.


This blog may start to loose its purpose because I have rambled on about my best friend for 10 minutes, let me try to get back into the reason behind this post. 

_______________

I am Alice. 
Jordan is Robin.

I mentioned in my last post that I have been in relationships all my life, its true. I have. I have never given myself time to myself, time to find me and there have been multiple things that have shown signs where I need to be alone - but I ignore them because, “he is nice.” “he is funny.” “he loves Jesus.” — those things are all great, but it was always out of timing. In this movie, Robin and Alice have such a unique friendship - You would think that the introvert, who can keep relationships and has a good job would be the one teaching the extrovert, who is single, and loud something but that is never the case. It wasn’t in this movie. And it is not in my life - So many time I have tried to teach Jordan things, I have tired to make her be quiet, or I have tried to make her fit a mold of being this way around these people and this way around those people. 
I have cheated her.
I am now on the other side of the world and I have realized that she has taught me more than I could ever teach her. 

She has taught me to laugh, to meet new people, to embrace every single second, to laugh when your car breaks down or when your bathroom sink falls to the ground while you brush your teeth. She has shown me how to live my life, how to not overthink, how to be myself and forget the people who don’t like me, she’s taught me how to embrace my laugh and how not to say “shhh.” She has taught me that it is okay to be by myself, its okay to change my mind, its okay to follow my dreams, she has taught me how to fight for what is right. She has taught me how to order at Waffle House, how to deal with loss and how to embrace the moments we have with people. She taught me how to worship through pain and joy. 

She is my best friend. 
& I have cheated her. I have kept her quiet when the room needed a good laugh and I have pushed her away when I needed her most. 

This movie showed me more than I thought it did, apparently. Here i I was thinking I was starting this blog to tell you about how I have never known myself outside of relationships, but what actually happened is me telling you, and myself just how much being friends with a complete extrovert changed my life. 

I am single. 
That is obvious. 
I am happy in that. 
I am leaning new things daily. 
Maybe I will hike a mountain alone someday. 

Thankful for moment when Jesus shows me things, even when I am not trying to learn those things. 
Thankful for my laugh, that is just like my fathers. 
Thankful for a best friend who is my best friend. 








No comments:

Post a Comment