Tuesday, April 12, 2016

On this day a year ago | The day I was introduced to Benjamin House

A year ago yesterday I called my momma while I paced around a giant church telling her all about the things I could do after tour. Her response was, “just wait it out. I think something is coming.” 
A year ago today I met Bucky Rogers.
A year ago today I was at a church in South Carolina, watching my kids perform a concert in every service.
A year ago today I helped people fill out at least 35 sponsorship forms. 
A year ago today I went back to my host home and celebrated Sweet Susan's birthday. 
A year ago today I slept most of the day because my host (Uhm Lisa Queen) was an angel. 
A year ago today I told my friend all about Benjamin House and how I may want to look more into it.


If you would have told me last year on that very day that I approached Bucky and said, “tell me your story” — That I would be sitting in Uganda in the same office as him and the team I would have ran far, far away. But here I sit in the office. Waiting for pictures to upload while I write. We just got back to the office from lunch. I craved Chick Fil A a lot today and I had to settle for rice and beans, but I put jalepenos in it to make it a bit different. I learned more about myself today - some things negative, some positive. In about an hour we will go pick up Innocent from school and then go home for Taco Tuesday. This weekend we are going to the slum to get video footage for Vacation Bible School packets, to go over the sponsorship packets and to visit the kids.

Today, I FINALLY got a video emailed to our social media guys in American, Ive been trying for 3 weeks. Today, I have a bum leg because I tried to hike this weekend in Chacos - my knee said no and I ignored it (blog coming soon) - Today, I laughed on the way to work in the car with Alejandro. I played Dutch Blitz with Xan during lunch break. I walked to the store with the boys to get water. Julie and I complained about how we cannot straighten our hair and we ended in laughter. Today, I hugged my roommate/BFF Gloria tight and told her how thankful I am for her. This morning I had to count to three, multiple times before I jumped into my cold shower. This morning I ran late, but Bucky is good at grace. Today, I created a list of the foods I miss and I decided that I would find sushi place in Kampala soon. Today, I rode down super bumpy dirt roads and I said I wanted a pet goat each time I saw one. 

Today, I am in Uganda. I am learning to live life here. I have been here for a month officially and it has been one of the realest months of my life. I am learning a lot about myself and about this culture. About Jesus and about what all I am passionate about. 

Ready to see where I will be in a year. But wanting to embrace every single second this year has to offer. 



                                 
                                               
                                                 
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment